Lesson 10: Thunderstorms
- Identify thunderstorm regions and the potential for new convective development.
- Indentify outflow boundaries of thunderstorms.
- Interpret Lifted Index DPI.
- Indentify air mass thunderstorm regions.
- Transfers knowledge and principles of radiative transfer to satellite imagery
- Knowledge of basic thunderstorm climatology (geographic regions and time of year)
- Knowledge of basic thunderstorm features (e.g. anvil, overshooting tops, outflow boundaries, updraft).
- Knowledge of basic life cycle of a thunderstorm cell - cumulus stage, mature stage and dissipation.
- Knowledge of conditions favorable of severe thunderstorm formation.
- Ability to interpret visible, infrared and water vapor imagery from geostationary satellite.
Return to Satellite Meteorology Main Page
AOS Main Page
Current Madison Weather
CIMSS GOES Gallery